The answer to this question is not a simple one. You need to be aware of the needs and circumstances you are looking for to make an informed decision.
So when its better to go for knife sets and when it's better to opt for individual pieces?
- If you know exactly which knives you need to use in the kitchen, you should probably build your own collection and not bother buying a set.
- Buying a kitchen set is justified when you are in doubt about the geometry and number of knives you use in your kitchen. If you only recall the colour of the handles of your knives when describing them in your kitchen, a ready-made set is unquestionably the way to go.
- Choose a kitchen knife set if you like one manufacturer and are confident in the quality of their products.
- You can save a lot of money if you have a limited budget by buying a set.
- Choose a kitchen knife set if you're picky about the look of your kitchen and prefer to have all your kitchen utensils in the same style. Be mindful, however, that If you're going for a full-on renovation, it's better to wait until everything else in your kitchen has been bought and choose knives with all the furniture around them. It will be easier then because you'll have an overall picture of what style suits your kitchen best.
- A set of kitchen knives is definitely worth buying if you are invited to a housewarming party or have a desire to give a "cool" gift to someone special for a reasonable amount of money. A gift like this appears weighty, practical and shows good taste on the part of the giver.
- Or when there is no time to look for presents and the gift needed to be bought "yesterday", then going for a set is the best option.
We hope that this blog sheds some light on the subject of when to invest in a kitchen knife set. You may be also interested to read our other blogs on types of kitchen knives and also how to select a good one!